Monday, July 30, 2012

How I Make That Money Honey

Happy Monday! (Last Monday of summer, wah wah wah). Thanks to Lovely Lindsey for a fun link up about "How I Make That Money Honey".
Hopefully this one won't be too much of a snoozer since I'm a teacher, while inspiring and glamorous, the job duties are pretty much common knowledge.

A day in the life of Mrs. Sarti starts early. In addition to my 30 minute drive to work, I like to get to school at least 45 minutes before school starts (8:00 am on the dot) to get my shiz together for the First graders. This is usually my most productive time of the day, also not a big line at the copy machine!
2009

The kiddos arrive and unpack and watch announcements while I take attendance and keep track of the stragglers and their tardy slips. Our school has a mild serious problem with tardies, the best is when they tell me it's because they stopped to get donuts on the way or they couldn't wake mom up to bring them :( 1. If you are late because you got donuts (or McDonalds), bring some for the teacher. 2. Parents - don't lock your kids out of your bedroom or ignore the alarm, they want and need to be at school on time. End Rant.
2010

We spend our morning doing whole group and small group reading and specials. While the kids are at specials I make about 5 trips back and forth to the copy room, you think I'd learn to consolidate my copies and just go once...despite my endless list making I'm just not that organized! Lunch is at 11:00am, a little early but whatareyougonnado? Then the kids play outside and get nice and sweaty before we do math, math, math, some writing, recess and more writing! School is out at 2:40 which is so nice because we can complete after school duty, have a meeting and still be out by 4:00!
 2011

 Teaching is incredibly rewarding and enjoyable but boy is it exhausting! This year will be interesting as I'm setting up my classroom 6 months pregnant! Last year I worked really hard on my classroom set up (of course it was done before the ac was on in the building and on unpaid days, I digress) but obviously this year I will be keeping it simple! 

I'm looking forward to meeting my kiddos and making sure my lesson plans are all in order for my maternity leave...T minus 2 days before I'm back in the classroom!

This year will be my 5th year teaching but prior to teaching I worked at a design firm after graduating from Arizona State with a degree in Communication. I began as an admin assistant eventually became an assistant project coordinator. I really liked my job and company, we had great benefits, an awesome group of people and the company catered in lunch every Friday! It was a great job but I did not feel like I was completely fulfilled. Coming from a long line of teachers, I had ignored my calling long enough and after about 2 years at the design firm, I went back to school to get my teaching certificate. I'm so glad I made the decision, even though it was a tough road working restaurant jobs and going to school full time...it was worth it!

There are times when the sheer chaos of the classroom has me longing for the serenity of a cubicle and being able to call in sick without hours of prep but bottom line, I LOVE what I do!

5 comments:

  1. You sound like a great teacher. Bless you and your patience-

    The Bargain Blonde's Mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost became a teacher and ended up changing my major once I got started in college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your a super teacher! those kids are lucky to have you! I am your newest follower. I cannot wait to read more of your posts and hope that maybe you can return the favor and follow The Preppy Student. I always comment for every comment left on my page and hope to start a friendly relationship with your wonderful blog! Have a happy Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how teachers do it, but I commend y'all! I think the kids would drive me out of my mind. One little 4 year old neph is enough to make me lose my mind some times. THanks for sharing your day-to-day ... very interesting! You need a copy assistant! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMAO! I just saw her comment. hahahahhahaha oh mah gawd! She's nuts

    ReplyDelete